Friday, November 14, 2008

World At War


This is by no means a full review, since I haven't purchased the game yet, but I have played the beta / demo. To be honest, I'm probably not the right person to be writing this, as I really don't get into WWII era games, but I did love and play the heck out of COD4.

Playing the multi player demo was so much like playing COD4. It had the same menu system, the same types of rewards for leveling up, and even some similar perks for kill counts. What sets this game apart from COD4 are the maps. The maps for COD5 seem to be much more grand than those found in COD4. They offer more nooks for snipers to hide out and take their shots on unsuspecting victims, and in addition COD5 offers the ability to control certain vehicles. Finally one of the coolest features is the ability to revive a player who has found themselves in last stand mode.

Being a fan of Battlefield2 on the PC, and Battlefield Bad Company, I love the ability to jump into a tank and start blowing things up. While this game lacks the totally destructive gameplay as Battlefield Bad Company, and some of the cooler vehicles like a chopper, adding vehicles is definetly a step in the right direction.

Now for the bad news. Like most WWII games COD5 is limited by the typical era weapons. Like I stated I've never been a huge fan of WWII games, and this is my main reason. I prefer the modern semiautomatic weapons like the M4 and the G36C. I also prefer the cool add ons like grenade launchers, silencers and scopes. For some reason looking down the antiquated barrel of a Thomson isn't my idea of a good time. I do plan on buying COD5, but only after I've had a chance to finish my current batch of games, as well as purchased and finished Gears of War 2. Until then have fun shooting at Nazi's, if the full version is anything like the demo, this game will be around long after I've found the time to play it.

No comments: